ADOPT AN ELEPHANT
At the GRI Elephant Orphanage Project, Zambia we are providing sanctuary to 13 abandoned elephants. Many of these vulnerable youngsters have been orphaned because their mother and family have been killed as a result of brutal ivory poaching. Until their release, which may not be until they are in their early teens, the trained elephant keepers are the orphans’ family and have a very special bond with these amazing animals.
We need YOUR help to be able to give these elephants a second chance.
For a minimum donation of USD65 you can become an elephant parent for one of the orphans, Chamilandu, Nkala or Kasewe for one year.
Chamilandu is the matriarch of our Kafue orphan herd. She was only 11⁄2 year old when her mother was shot by poachers, leaving her a helpless orphan in South Luangwa National Park. After help and care by Zambia Wildlife Authority and local conservation NGOs she was flown to EOP in November 2007.
Chamilandu was a strong, healthy and boisterous young elephant calf, but was very traumatised as she struggled to come to terms with the loss of her mother and family. Initially she suffered from nightmares and screamed out when she slept, but with the reassurance, care and attention by her dedicated keepers she began to calm down and accept her new life.
To adopt Chamilandu and hear her full story email Lauren firstname.lastname@example.org
Nkala is now with the release herd at the Elephant Release Facility in Kafue National Park. In June 2013 ‘Nkala’ was discovered as he wondered alone and distressed among cattle, after his family herd had been driven away from agricultural land and unfortunately they did not return for their lost calf. After hearing GRI’s community radio show (which featured the Elephant Orphanage Project) the people living near Nkala Game Management Area notified the Zambia Wildlife Authority and GRI of this little elephant and a rescue team was rapidly deployed to his aid.
To adopt Nkala and hear his full story email us here.
Kesewe is one of the rescues that is currently in our Elephant Orphanage in Lilayi. Kasewe was rescued at only 9 months of age in September 2016. She was found by a teacher named Sabina, who saw the small orphan wondering alone by the Kasewe stream. Sabina managed to capture Kasewe with her brother and children and restrained her with a chitenge (traditional cloth often used as a skirt), which demonstrates how easy she was to handle from an early stage, as most orphans that age will heavily challenge their rescuers. She was in such good condition that it
was obvious she had only been away from her mother for a few days and reports suggest her mother had been shot four days earlier for crop raiding in Mozambique.
To adopt Kasewe and hear her full story email us here.
When you have made the donation of 65USD via our Just Giving page send us a confirmation email and you will receive:
- An Adoption Certificate with the profile and photos of your orphan’s story;
- Quarterly updates highlighting events in the progress of your orphan including photos;
- Monthly newsletter from GRI about all of our projects and activities which you are helping to support;
If you are based in Zambia cash, cheque and transfers are accepted into our Zambian bank account. For details on these email us here.
If you are based elsewhere in the world all international payments accepted through our Just Giving page. Please, don’t forget to indicate your name and the amount paid.
Please contact us for any other information you require about adopting an elephant!
Thank you for your vital support to conservation in Zambia and helping to save these amazing creatures.
Support GRI by becoming an Elephant Foster Parent for just ZMW 5,000 per month!
The GRI Foster an Elephant Scheme is a great opportunity for Zambian or international companies to increase their brand awareness in Zambia whilst supporting corporate social responsibility and conserving Zambia’s natural heritage.
Your generous gift will cover the entire costs of your fostered elephant orphan for one year and in return you will receive:
- Exclusive fostering of the elephant orphan of your choice for one year (renewable annually);
- Quarterly updates with photographs on your elephant;
- Elephant orphan ‘photo/story board’ featuring your logo/business for you to display;
- CSR certificate, photo and profile of your chosen elephant orphan;
- Promotion of your logo/business alongside your chosen elephant on all GRI publications: Newsletters, Newsflashes, Magazine articles, Website, Facebook, including representation on the GRI Sponsor’s Board and Information Boards at Lilayi Elephant Nursery.
- A visit to the Lilayi Elephant Nursery for the school of your choice;
- Elephant dung Christmas cards featuring your elephant;
- A Behind-the-Scenes Tour of the Lilayi Elephant Nursery for up to six people.
For more information on how to join the scheme, please email us!