ELEPHANT ORPHANAGE PROJECT MEDIA AND MARKETING VOLUNTEER
Location:Kafue Release Facility, Kafue National Park
Duration:Volunteer placements are available for a maximum of 23 days only.
2018 Dates: Available monthly April – November
Activities may include:
- Assist with Photography of the elephants on bush walks, staff and camp surroundings
- Contribute to frequent social media updates: Facebook, Instagram, GRI Newsletters
- Write adoption reports for individual elephants
- Blog writing
- Video Diaries and Keeper Diaries – conducting ‘Behind the Scenes’ interviews/updates with staff members/visitors
- Managing visitor displays
- Staff Capacity Building: computer lessons, photography, reading (or anything in your skill set that you feel you can pass on!)
- Opportunity to shadow and assist the Research Volunteers
- Understanding of elephant behaviour and the issues facing elephants.
- Behind the scenes understanding of a conservation NGO.
What kind of person would this suit?
- We’re looking for enthusiastic volunteers eager to tell stories about the Elephant Orphanage Project, and get our supporters worldwide interested, involved, and engaged with the project.
- Someone who is passionate about wildlife issues
- Someone fluent in speaking and writing in English
- Someone who has strong writing skills, and passion for storytelling
- Bloggers, journalists, photographers
- People who are confident and able to work alone/as well as part of a team
Who this would not suit?
- People who want a break from social media/technology
- People who want to have close contact (touch/hug) elephants – we have a strict ‘hands off’ policy. Only trained elephant keepers get within 10 metres of the elephants due to the nature of the project – all elephants will be released back into the wild.
- People with limited English
Is there any experience necessary?
- No prior qualifications necessary just a keen interest in conservation and a willingness to help wherever necessary.
- Would be great to have previous experience in blog writing or writing in general, or graphic design.
- Our office equipment is limited so if you have your own laptop/tablet/phone that you are willing to bring for this then it will be advantageous. We will connect these devices to the Wi-Fi.
General Information for the Media and Marketing Project Assistant Role
- Volunteer placements are available for one month only
- Please note that all GRI Camps are alcohol and drug free zones (recreational drinking may be conducted at the Lodges in association with each of the field camps outside of working hours and when transport is available)
- Cost for one-month placement on the programme is a minimum donation of $2,500
- Your minimum donation will be used to cover all in-country expenses as outlined below, the remainder will be used to directly support conservation in action through GRI projects.
What is Included with the price:
- All project-related road transport costs
- Pick up between 09:00 – 17:00 from the airport or your hotel/lodge on the project start date
- Drop-off between 09:00 – 17:00 to the airport or your hotel/lodge on project end date
- Transport to the shops for personal items before heading to Kafue National Park
- Transport to project related events
- Transport to a near-by Lodge on rest days
- Accommodation: a tent, mattress and bedding provided (in some situations volunteers may be asked to share a tent with another volunteer of the same sex)
- Support from local staff who prepare volunteer accommodations, maintain the grounds, and ensure the property is safe and secure
- Three basic meals a day on camp (the volunteers will prepare or assist in the preparation of the meals)
- Kafue National Park Entry Fees
- The documentation required to apply for a work visa
- Experienced staff support, training and supervision
- Two working t-shirts per volunteers
- Project related materials
- Registration with Specialty Emergency Services -Health Care Providers
What is Excluded:
- Volunteers must be responsible for purchasing their own Zambian entry Visas
- Volunteers must be responsible for obtaining their own malaria prophylaxis
- Volunteers must organise their own fully comprehensive medical insurance prior to travel*
- Along with personal items Volunteers will be required to bring with them some basic equipment for camp life (e.g. a head-torch, water bottle, etc.), although any equipment required directly relating to project work will be provided once on site. A more extensive equipment may be found within the Volunteers Handbook.
- Any meals off GRI Camps
- Personals of any nature
- Personal beverages
- Entry fees to any other tourist attraction / adventure activity
*N.B. Please make sure your insurance provider is aware of the activities and tasks which you may be undertaking during your participation in this programme. Ensure they are aware you will be walking in free contact (with no barriers) with elephants although there will be no physical contact with the elephants following our safety protocols and elephant re-wilding protocols. Please ensure that your insurance package covers emergency medical evacuation and repatriation.
The next step….
If you are interested in applying for the position of Media and Marketing Volunteer please download and complete the Questionnaire and return to email@example.com
If your application is successful we take into account current project needs as well as your skills & interests and get back to you with a Placement Offer and Project Disclaimer.
Be part of something special and join us to support conservation and communities in the remote African bush!